1. China’s entry into the World Trade Organization has as important a meaning to China as
A. which does to B. it has
C. it does to D. what it is
2. After a lengthy discussion, the experts finally up with suggestions for resolving the economic crisis.
A. came B. set C. caught D. gave
3. --- You know that you were driving at 100 kilometres per hour, don’t you?
--- No, officer, I have been. This car can’t do more than 80.
A. mustn’t B. shouldn’t C. may not D. couldn’t
4. --- Mr Black, I just can’t get my car started. I think there’s something wrong with the engine.
--- Oh, let me see. Ah, that is not it is. Actually, your car has used up all the petrol.
A. why B. when C. where D. which
5. --- What are you reading?
--- Some books on education, I’m now interested in education of young
A. / ; / B. the; / C. the; the D. /; the
6. Although punctual (守时) himself, the professor was quite used late for his lectures.
A. to have students B. for students’ being
C. for students to be D. to students’ being
7. --- Oh, it’s you! I didn’t recognize you.
--- I my hair cut, and I dark glasses.
A. had; was wearing B. have had; am wearing
C. had; wore D. have had; wear
8. Studies show that the things that contribute most to a sense of happiness cannot be bought,
a good family life, friendship and work satisfaction.
A. for example B. in view of
C. in case of D. such as
9. All things , the planned trip has to be called off.
A. considered B. be considered
C. considering D. having considered
10.The course normally attracts 20 students per year, up to half will be from overseas.
A. in which B. for whom
C. with which D. of whom
11. these periodicals (期刊) well?
A. Were; sold B. Are; selling C. Are; sold D. Have; sold
12.He had little idea that it was getting so late, ?
A. didn’t he B. wasn’t it C. did he D. was it
13.Jose de San Martin was born in today is Argentina, on February 25, 1778.
A. which B. what C. that D. where
14.A teacher must see to it that every one of his students develops .
A. extremely B. fairly C. hurriedly D. properly
15.--- Are you sure you can help me find bed for my new house?
--- Of course, but not now. I’m heading for bed and a good sleep.
A. a; a B. a; / C. the; a D. a; the
16.--- It’s five years since I lived in San Francisco.
A. Were you used to living here B. Where are you living now
C. How long have you been here D. Are you going to stay here longer
17.The boy the ball and a man.
A. run to; knocked into B. ran to; knocked upon
C. ran for; knocked into D. ran for; knocked at
18. full preparations, we decided to put off the meeting till next week.
A. We did not make B. To have not made
C. We had not made D. Not having made
19.It was not until dark he found he thought was the correct way
to solve the problem.
A. that; what B. that; that C. when; what D. when; that
20. proud the Wangs were their bright son!
A. How; for B. What; of C. How; of D. What; of
21.Smoking, if , will do you great harm.
A. continuing B. to continue C. continued D. continues
22. , so she had to be sent to the hospital.
A. Being ill B. She was seriously ill
C. She being ill D. Having been ill
23.Which of the following can not be used to complete this sentence:
Is this the book you borrowed from the library?
A. that B. which C. / D. the one
24.As time went on, Einstein’s theory right.
A. suggested B. proved C. insisted D. was proved
25.I like to get up early so that I can get plenty of work before lunch.
A. done B. to do C. doing D. being done
26.--- I’m sorry I can’t hand in my composition today.
--- But you me you to hand it in today.
A. have promised; were going B. promised; were going
C. had promised; would D. have promised; are going
27.Will you see to that my children are taken good care of while I’m away?
A. them B. yourself C. me D. it
28. the window, my finger was cut unexpectedly.
A. Cleaning B. To clean C. While cleaning D. While I was cleaning
29.--- Tom, you make bed before breakfast, ?
--- All right, Mum.
A. don’t you B. doesn’t he C. will you D. do you
30.Whom is it that you’d rather to, David or me?
A. to speak B. have spoken C. have speak D. speak
31. as the best one in the city, the school was praised by the government.
A. Regarding B. Regarded C. Being regarded D. Having been regarded
32.--- This is Li Ping speaking.
--- Hi, Li Ping, please stay at home, I’ll you at and we’ll go to the
A. call for B. wait for C. look for D. care for
33.It was nearly he arrived there from his office.
A. that B. when C. until D. while
34.---Do you have any idea what Hawk does all day?
--- I know he spends at least as much time watching TV as he .
A. does writing B. writes C. is writing D. spends to write
35.John’s mother bought her a skirt on her birthday.
A. Chinese beautiful blue silk B. Chinese blue beautiful silk
C. beautiful blue Chinese silk D. beautiful blue silk Chinese
36. the reporter come in and you give an interview to him right now?
A. Shall; would B. Will; will C. Can; would D. Need; can
37.--- When are you leaving?
--- My plane at .
A. takes off B. took off C. will take off D. is about to take off
38.The washing mashing for which I 2,000 yuan is the money.
A. spent; worth B. paid; very worth
C. cost; well worth D. paid; good value for
39.--- Sugar milk?
--- Only milk, please, I used to like sugar.
A. and; and B. or; and C. and; but D. or; but
40.The reason he explained is not at all I expected.
A. why; that B. that; that C. that; what D. which; that
41.The theory Einstein stuck to true.
A. was proved B. proved C. prove D. proving
42.We doubt Jack will his promise.
A. that; carry out B. whether; carry out
C. that; insist on D. whether; insist on
43.Realizing that his mother wouldn’t up until , the boy had to prepare lunch
A. come; of B. appear; by C. get; for D. turn; on
44.Who would you rather with you to the cinema?
A. have to go B. have go C. have gone D. go
45.The cook the egg on the table was by him.
A. lied; laid; lain B. lied; laid; laid C. laid; lay; lied D. lays; lying; lain
46. we have finished the course, we shall start doing more revision work.
A. For B. Now that C. Ever since D. By now
47.--- Don’t be disappointed. Have another go, OK?
A. With pleasure B. My pleasure C. No problem D. Good idea
48.Her face gave her when she told a lie.
A. off B. away C. up D. out
49.Once lost, .
A. it’s hard to get such a chance again B. to get such a chance will be difficult
C. we can never get such a chance again D. such a chance might never come again
50.--- The disease she suffers from is not easy to cure.
--- I know, but is she better?
A. much B. little C. even D. any
51.Could it be in the restaurant in you had dinner with me yesterday you
left behind your keys and your wallet?
A. that; which B. which; that C. where; that D. that; where
52.--- Are all the names in your class here?
--- Yes, all mine.
A. listed; include B. listing; includes C. listed; including D. being listed; being include
53.In the 1940’s a group of scientists in England on the platform of freezing cells without
A. worked B. were working C. had been working D. have been working
54.--- I always look out when crossing the street.
--- You’re right. You can’t be too .
A. nervous B. careful C. hurried D. careless
55.--- How did you the movie last night?
--- Oh, both interesting and instructive.
A. find B. consider C. think D. feel
56.As far as I know, Miss Han is such a good teacher the students all love and respect.
A. whose B. as C. which D. that
57.--- I’d like to go to the cinema with you, Dad.
--- Sorry, my darling, but the film is for grown-ups only.
A. admitted B. promised C. permitted D. intended
58.We should prevent pollution happily.
A. from living B. to live C. from being lived D. to living
59. is it has made Peter he is today?
A. What; that; that B. That; that; what C. What; what; that D. What; that; what
60.--- Did you check the progress of the project yourself?
A. Yes, I had B. Yes, I checked C. No, I had it checked D. Yes, I had it checked
61.--- It is weeks since he was drunk.
--- So it is. .
A. We haven’t seen him drunk for weeks B. He has been drunk for weeks
C. He has never been drunk D. He had been drunk for weeks.
62.Where is my umbrella? It seems .
A. to have lost B. to have missed C. to have disappeared D. to be disappeared
63.All the pop stars to England or the USA for free.
A. flied B. were flown C. were flied D. had flown
64.She on her way to school. I just called her home and got no answer.
A. should be B. might have been C. must be D. could have been
65.--- Does your brother always work so hard?
--- Yes, he catches a cold or has a fever sometimes.
A. whenever B. no matter how C. although D. even though
66.He wanted some more apples but there was left in the basket.
A. none B. something C. all D. no one
67.He must be at his failure, for his expression can tell us.
A. surprised; surprising B. surprising; surprised
C. surprised; surprised D. surprising; surprising
68.The war with Japan lasted eight years the Chinese won.
A. before B. until C. since D. after
69.The old cloth has a of red and white squares and it can be made into blouses.
A. sign B. signal C. form D. pattern
70.Out after the door was opened.
A. did the dog run B. ran the dog C. the dog ran D. had the dog run
71.I when you rang me up last night.
A. must be sleeping B. must have slept
C. must have been sleeping D. should have slept
72.Kate is always two hours late. What to her?
A. can have happened B. may have happened
C. should have happened D. must have happened
73.Is this village you once stayed?
A. the one B. where C. which D. that
74.When you read books, you’d better make a mark you have any questions.
A. at which B. at where C. the place where D. where
75.When someone says, “Well, I guess I’ll have to face music,” it doesn’t mean he is
planning to go to concert.
A. the; the B. a; a C. the; a D. a; the
76.She will not join us, the case.
A. as well may be B. as may well be C. as well as is D. as well as may be
77.Don’t get that ink on your coat, for it .
A. isn’t washing out B. doesn’t wash out C. won’t wash out D. won’t be washing out
78.---Shall I tell Mary how to improve her English?
--- Yes, but of suggestions may discourage her.
A. a too long list B. too long a list C. list too long D. a list of too long
79.Please wait for me the two roads meet.
A. the place where B. at the place which C. where D. there where
80.The wining team was with a silver cup.
A. offered B. presented C. awarded D. supplied
81.The situation is worsening. In my opinion, such means .
A. is worthy of consideration B. are worthy to be considered
C. is worth considering D. are worth to be considered
82.The weather here is pleasant, the season is.
A. whenever B. however C. whatever D. whichever
83.--- Where can I get this medicine?
--- At chemist’s. It’s on sale everywhere.
A. any B. each C. some D. certain
84.You cannot be careful when you drive a car.
A. very B. too C. so D. quite
85.Chinese the largest percentage of the population of Macao.
A. add up B. hold up C. set up D. make up
86.--- How is the wounded worker?
--- He though the doctor made every effort to save him.
A. had died B. died C. was dying D. would die
87.--- You are not worried about your English, are you?
--- No, certainly not. Not Chinese, not maths, and English.
A. as far as B. at the least C. best of all D. least of all
88.Who can you imagine in the room?
A. was locked B. locked C. to be locked D. be locked
89.The meeting is to begin at , and we are to be there a bit earlier.
A. invited B. communicated C. supposed D. determined
90.The way you thought of the river clean made very good sense.
A. making B. to make C. how to make D. having made
91.Spend your time just on the things you find .
A. them worth doing B. worth being done C. worth doing D. are worth doing
92. called you just now, but she didn’t tell me her full name.
A. A Miss Brown B. Miss Brown C. The Miss Brown D. That Miss Brown
93.--- Do you know of them?
--- No, I know Mr and Mrs Johnson.
A. both B. all C. either D. any
94.We can’t get the car . We need someone us.
A. to go; to help B. going; to help C. going; helping D. gone; to help
95.--- Are you about to have dinner?
--- Yes, it in the dining-room.
A. is serving B. serves C. is being served D. is served
96.The driver has just been fined $10 for parking his car at a sign that “No Parking”.
A. is read B. is written C. writes D. reads
97.Here most people like talking about English language.
A. the; the B. /; the C. the; / D. / ; /
98.The boss got when he found the man had lied to him.
A. angrily B. unhappy C. excited D. cross
99.The research is so designed that once , noting can be done to change it.
A. begins B. having begun C. begun D. beginning
100. Which of the following can not be the right choice to complete this sentence:
I was so tired that I fell asleep my head touched the pillow.
A. at the moment B. the moment C. as soon as D. immediately
101. He came where I was hiding and my heart beat faster.
A. more closely to B. much closer C. rather closer to D. quite closely to
102. Mary isn’t out at night because it’s not safe in the street after dark.
A. permitted B. let C. allowed D. promised
103. --- Are you satisfied with what he did?
--- Sure. It couldn’t have been .
A. worse B. better C. so good D. more better
104. It is not whether you fail or not but whether you try or not .
A. that cares B. which cares C. that matters D. what considers
105. Brooke a most interesting guide on our long journey to Mount Tai.
A. behaved B. practised C. conducted D. proved
106. --- Excuse me, are you going to buy book?
--- Well, I need it for class but it is too expensive.
A. the; a B. a; the C. a; / D. / ; the
107. --- Do you know where my address book is?
--- It be in the cupboard. I think I saw it this morning.
A. can B. could C. will D. must
108. Without proper lessons, you could a lot of bad habits when playing the piano.
A. put up B. draw up C. pick up D. grow up
109. I had just started back for the house to change my shoes I heard voices.
A. as B. when C. after D. while
110. Isn’t it time you down to those papers?
A. got; making B. should get; make C. get; write D. have got; have made
111. They told me it would be cheap but it cost me nearly $500.
A. as a result B. in a word C. at last D. in fact
112. I couldn’t move my legs. It was as if they to the floor.
A. were stuck B. had been stuck C. had stuck D. would stick
113. --- Will you be able to come tomorrow?
--- not, I have so much to do.
A. Perhaps; because B. Possibly; as C. Maybe; since D. Probably; for
114. --- There isn’t any milk left.
--- Oh, ? I’ll get some in town. I’m going there later on.
A. isn’t there B. is there C. isn’t D. is it
115. The young teacher the president wants to have the graduates is popular with the
A. taught B. teach C. teaching D. to teach
116. When he locked the door, he puts up a notice on it, “Leave on this
A. which was read; word B. reading; words
C. reading; word D. read; words
117. --- I want to go to the library, but I’m afraid I’m not in the right .
--- . Go ahead.
A. way; No B. distance; No C. street; Yes D. direction; Yes
118. I spent the whole day repairing the motorbike. The work was easy.
A. nothing but B. anything but C. something except D. all except
119. --- Mary wants to see you, sir. she come in or wait outside?
--- Let her in, please.
A. Will B. Does C. Must D. Shall
120. It’s at President Bush gave the students a lecture.
A. when B. that C. before D. until
121. What the students often suggest more computer lessons.
A. having B. is to have C. they should have D. is that they have
122. --- Why didn’t you ring me up earlier?
--- I would have, but I your telephone number.
A. had forgotten B. have forgot C. forgot D. forget
123. to make this adventure course will certainly learn a lot of useful skills.
A. Brave enough students B. Enough brave students
C. Students brave enough D. Students enough brave
124. I’d love to the party last night, but I had to work extra hours to finish a report.
A. to go B. having gone C. going D. to have gone
125. It was at the very beginning Mr. Fox made the decision we should
send more firefighters here.
A. when; which B. that; that C. / ; that D. how; that
126. --- What are your plans for the future?
A. Sorry, I have no idea B. I have decided to go there
C. It’s very clear that I’ll go there D. I think it good to be a teacher
127. We can easily get from the computer has been stored in it.
A. that B. what C. anything D. whichever
128. One thing he felt sorry for was that he never had the of hearing him play the piano.
A. condition B. situation C. chance D. opportunity
129. his carelessness, he failed the examination.
A. In spite of B. Thanks to C. On account of D. Because
130. he speaks softly is no proof that he is kind.
A. Since B. That C. Why D. Because
131. After a few attempts, she had to all ideas of becoming a concert pianist.
A. put away B. put forward C. put through D. put up
132. We used to work in the same office and we have coffee together.
A. should B. would C. could D. might
133. It is widely believed that Chinese are hard-working people.
A. the; a B. \\ ; the C. the; the D. the; \\
134. Your composition well a few spelling mistakes.
A. reads; besides B. reads; except for C. is read; besides D. is read; except for
135. --- you like the car very much, why not drive it back?
--- Well, I can’t afford .
A. Now that; that big a car B. As; a that big car
C. Because; that a big one D. For; a big that
136. Who did the teacher an article for the wall newspaper?
A. has write B. has written C. have written D. have write
137. You mustn’t fill in the form pencil but ink.
A. in; with B. with; in C. in; in D. with a; with
138. The school those guests visited last week is the one I studied for
A. \\ ; which B. where; in which C. that; which D. which; where
139. friends Betty had made there were all invited to her birthday party.
A. The few of B. Few C. The few D. A few
140. Shortly after we , a waiter came over to our table with a smile.
A. seated B. were seated C. sat ourselves D. took places
141. What he has done is far from .
A. satisfactory B. satisfied C. satisfaction D. satisfying
142. The manager has to improve the working conditions in the company.
A. permitted B. allowed C. promised D. accepted
143. It must have rained last night, the ground is wet this morning.
A. because B. as C. since D. for
144. Chinese people are one of the friendliest that I have ever met in all my .
A. journeys B. trips C. travels D. tours
145. Loulan City is not at all a traveller who has never seen the desert before can expect.
A. what B. that C. which D. where
146. It’s too late to set out for watching the sunrise now; it’s starting to rain.
A. besides B. meanwhile C. however D. anyhow
147. --- You look tired. What happened?
--- I non-stop until this morning.
A. have been working B. have worked C. was working D. had worked
148. the end of last term, everybody here in the school, I think has taken at least eight
A. By B. Since C. At D. From
149. No matter how frequently , the works of Shakespeare always attract large audience.
A. performing B. to be performed C. performed D. being performed
150. Michael never dreamt of for him to be sent abroad very soon.
A. being a chance B. there’s a chance
C. there to be a chance D. there being a chance
151. So absorbed in his work that he didn’t realize I was behind him.
A. did he B. was he C. he was D. he did
152. With the development of Internet, communication is done by regular mail.
A. less B. more C. little D. much
153. the speed of life continues to increase, we are fast losing the art of enjoyment.
A. Now that B. As C. When D. So long as
154. --- Have you been here long?
A. No, not very B. Not much C. Yes, only little D. No, only yesterday
155. I didn’t expect them for me when I arrived there so late.
A. to wait B. to be waiting C. to have waited D. to have been waiting
156. It was true Alice did surprised her mother.
A. that what B. that that C. all which D. all what
157. by lots of wild flowers, the farm house looks more attractive.
A. Surrounded B. Being surrounded
C. Having surrounded D. Having been surrounded
158. --- What you the chance to see the film?
A. spent B. took C. cost D. paid
159. A native English speaker limited English speakers finds it hard to talk with African
people even though they speak English too.
A. is used to deal with B. used to deal with
C. is used to dealing with D. used to dealing with
160. My father told me to keep whenever I met with danger.
A. still B. calm C. silent D. quiet
161. You need special personal to work as a nurse.
A. quality B. patience C. character D. skill
162. As a scholar, he devoted himself for the laws of nature and society.
A. to make out B. to reaching out C. to stay up D. looking up
163. John has a lot of work to in the office since he has been away for quite a few days.
A. take up B. make up C. bring up D. join up
164. It’s very hot and dry., but it to be cool in the evening.
A. hopes B. wants C. promises D. expects
165. As we can see, on the front wall of the classroom three pictures.
A. hangs B. hang C. hanging D. hanged
166. There were several friends of mine me at the airport when I arrived.
A. met B. greet C. receive D. meeting
167. It might rain tomorrow, we’ll have to put off the sports meet until next Friday.
A. in case B. if possible C. in which case D. in whose case
168. , he can finish the task all by himself.
A. As he is a child B. As a child he is C. Child as he is D. Child he is as
169. There is money and people that I cannot finish the task as
A. so little; so few B. such little; such few
C. so little; such few D. such little; so few
170. It makes very good to keep sheep or goats in hilly areas.
A. idea B. thought C. opinion D. sense
171. She has many advantages other graduates, so she was employed by Coca Cola
A. than B. over C. against D. along
172. The dark clouds suggested that a heavy storm on its way, so I suggested they
home at once, but they refused.
A. should be; went B. was ; went C. was; go D. will be; would go
173. --- Thank you ever so much for the book you sent me.
A. No, thanks B. My pleasure C. With pleasure D. Please don’t say so
174. it is to go for a picnic on such a fine day.
A. What a fun B. What fun C. How funny D. How a fun
175. Information has been put forward more middle school graduates will be admitted into
A. while B. as C. when D. that
176. She couldn’t speak both English and French, but is hard to believe.
A. she B. this C. that D. which
177. If we can’t afford meat we shall have to with fish
A. do B. go C. eat D. deal
178. The old man for days. Where do you think we could find him?
A. has lost B. has been gone C. has gone D. has been going
179. The service shop him 30 yuan for repairing his TV set.
A. asked B. paid C. owed D. charged
180. --- What did you say to Julia? I saw her crying in the room.
--- It my fault. I told a joke when I met her.
A. must have been B. should have been C. oughtn’t to be D. can’t have been
181. --- What terrible weather!
--- Yes. It’s been raining for a fortnight, completely our holiday.
A. ruined B. to ruin C. ruining D. to have ruined
182. --- May I have a look at the menu?
--- Of course, , sir.
A. don’t worry B. it doesn’t matter C. enjoy yourself D. take your time
183. You’d better not phone the manager between 7 and 8 tomorrow evening; he an
important meeting then.
A. will have B. would have C. will be having D. will have had
184. The heavy rain for several days and all the roads were flooded.
A. went on B. kept on C. fell down D. kept up
185. The girl sang another popular song our request.
A. at B. for C. in D. to
186. Try it again, and you’ll make your .
A. remark B. mark C. part D. succeed
187. books I have on the shelf are borrowed from the school library.
A. Whatever B. Many C. That D. Which
188. The headmaster requested that .
A. the school yard must be cleaned at once
B. the students would clean the whole school again
C. with more care the school would be cleaned
D. the students do the cleaning at least once a week
189. What she said upset you, ?
A. didn’t you B. didn’t she C. didn’t it D. don’t you
190. He must be from Africa, can be seen from his skin.
A. this B. that C. it D. as
191. Each time he came to Xi’an, he would drip in to see me.
A. which B. when C. \\ D. during
192. We are allowed to ask three questions .
A. at the time B. in one time C. at a time D. at one time
193. I know nothing about the accident I read in the newspaper.
A. except when B. except for C. except that D. except what
194. Where is still a question.
A. should the lab be built B. should we have the lab built
C. the lab should be built D. we should have built the lab
195. His carelessness him his life.
A. took B. lost C. missed D. cost
196. We have to work twice as hard to lost time.
A. make up B. make up for C. make for D. make
197. Suddenly an idea the engineer.
A. struck B. hit C. beat D. came
198. The man did not act out the door; instead he was on the ground.
A. break; laid B. to break; lay C. breaking; lying D. breaking; lain
199. and the oil would blow up.
A. If another minute would pass B. Another minute would past
C. Another minute should pass D. Another minute
200. This hole is that one.
A. as bigger as B. the size as C. bigger than D. as bigger than
201. You’d better them an apology for coming late.
A. own B. owe C. save D. spare
202. To shut your eyes to facts, many of you do, is foolish.
A. as B. like C. so D. that
203. More than one student praised at the meeting.
A. were B. was C. have been D. are to be
204. I don’t suppose he’s finished the job, ?
A. do you B. do I C. has he D. hasn’t he
205. --- What is he like?
A. He likes swimming B. He is very well
C. He is a college student D. He is handsome
206. in the air, this kind of steel becomes harder and harder.
A. Cooled B. Cooling C. Having cooled D. Being cooled
207. No one in such easy work.
A. needs to help B. needs being helped
C. need helping D. needs to be helped
208. I have nothing to say.
A. less B. any more C. farther D. further
209. They let us use their computer, and we should give them the results of our research.
A. in return B. in the return C. by turns D. in turn
210. He orders you not leave the room.
A. will B. / C. would D. shall
211. --- What was the party like?
--- Wonderful. It’s years I enjoyed myself so much.
A. after B. before C. when D. since
212. I can’t stand at the blind man.
A. you laughing B. your laugh C. you to laugh D. you laugh
213. This is the story I have heard. It’s interesting, isn’t it?
A. ever B. never C. hardly D. often
214. If you want to see a doctor, you fix a date with him ahead of time. That is a common in
the United States.
A. sense B. practice C. rule D. reality
215. --- So you have to leave now.
--- Yes, I .
A. have to B. ought to C. do D. have
216. --- he come to see you?
--- Of course, please. And I’d rather he me the truth.
A. Will; inform B. Shall; told C. Should; will say D. Can; spoke
217. --- I’m going to fetch the pot.
--- ! The pot is very hot.
A. Take care B. Look out C. Be care D. Look at
218. --- Have a cup of tea, ?
--- Thanks a lot.
A. don’t you B. haven’t you C. will you D. won’t you
219. His mother thought it would be good for his character to from home and earn some
money on his own.
A. run away B. take away C. keep away D. get away
220. --- Excuse me, sir. Would you do me a favor?
--- Of course. What is it?
--- I if you could tell me how to fill out this form.
A. had wondered B. was wondering C. would wonder D. did wonder
221. Little Mary felt so cold, so she stood to her mother.
A. close B. closely C. closed D. closing
222. --- Mummy, can I put the peaches in the cupboard?
--- No, dear. They don’t well. Put them in the fridge instead.
A. fit B. keep C. get D. last
223. --- What do you want those old boxes?
--- To put things in when I move to the new flat.
A. by B. for C. of D. with
224. The key the problem is to meet the demand by the customers.
A. to solving; making B. to solving; made C. to solve; making D. to solve; made
225. Be careful when you cross this very busy street. If not, you may over by a car.
A. have run B. get run C. become run D. turn run
226. Animals do not “talk” with words. They use smells, sounds and movements to communicate
A. any B. another C. each D. the other
227. The company wasted investing in out-of-date technology.
A. a million pound B. millions of pounds
C. several millions of pounds D. a million of pounds
228. Tony finished his meal, the bill, and left the restaurant.
A. paying B. to check C. checking D. paid
229. party secretary and manager is to attend the meeting this afternoon.
A. A; a B. The; \\ C. The; the D. A; the
230. The man introduced himself 007 and his real name is James Bond.
A. to B. into C. like D. as
231. The couple lived a life free worry.
A. at B. off C. from D. beyond
232. --- I don’t like singing dancing.
--- I don’t like singing I like dancing.
A. and; but B. or; but C. or; and D. but; and
233. There are so many kinds of TV sets on sale that I can’t decide to buy.
A. what B. which C. how D. where
234. Ten minutes earlier, we could have caught the last bus.
A. or B. but C. and D. so
235. I don’t doubt my friend Smith will come to visit China soon.
A. that B. whether C. if D. when
236. This is the same typewriter we used.
A. as B. which C. that D. what
237. --- they have missed the train?
--- Yes, they .
A. May; may B. Can; can C. May; may have D. Can; may have
238. --- Your telephone number again? I quite catch it.
--- It’s 9568442.
A. didn’t B. couldn’t C. don’t D. can’t
239. Don’t get off the bus until it .
A. stopped B. has stopped C. will stop D. stops
240. --- Would you like me to turn down the radio a bit?
--- . I’m used to working with the radio on.
A. No, it’s all right B. No, I don’t like it
C. No, it doesn’t matter D. No, don’t mention it
241. The fog was so heavy that we could hardly the train in the distance.
A. make out B. make up C. make into D. make over
242. You’d better take a rest. The sun will you if you’re not careful.
A. shine B. iron C. burn D. tire
243. --- You’ve made great progress in the study of English, haven’t you?
--- Yes, but much .
A. remains to do B. is remained
C. is remained to be done D. remains to be done
244. If the work by the end of the month is delayed, the sports meet will have to be put off.
A. to be completed B. completed C. is to complete D. will be completed
245. I really must pay the electricity bill; I it for weeks.
A. have held B. have received C. have had D. have kept
246. On my way home, I saw a thief money from a lady by the police.
A. being caught stealing B. having caught stealing
C. caught stealing D. having been caught to steal
247. While he was in his college days he used to long hair.
A. dress B. wear C. remain D. grow
248. Mike described to me the accident happened.
A. why B. that C. how D. where
249. in a heavy rain, the climbers had to stop climbing the mountain.
A. Catching B. Caught C. Having caught D. To be caught
250. Tom’s mother was always telling him what he should do, but didn’t help.
A. it B. he C. she D. which
251. --- Shall I invite Tom to my party?
--- Yes, it’ll be nice if you .
A. did invite B. are C. do D. invited
252. --- I just heard that the tickets for tonight’s show have been sold out.
---Oh no! .
A. I was looking forward to that B. It doesn’t matter
C. I knew it already D. It’s not at all interesting
253. It was an exciting moment for those football fans this year, for the first time in years
their team won the World Cup.
A. that B. while C. which D. when
254. the general state of his health, it may take him a while to recover from the operation.
A. Given B. To give C. Giving D. Having given
255. By the heart a pump, he helped the children to understand its
A. compared; to B. comparing; with C. comparing; to D. compared; with
256. I was on the point of going out it began to rain heavily.
A. when B. while C. as D. before
257. is known to all, the Chinese language has the largest numbers of speakers.
A. It B. Which C. What D. As
258. I know there is a coin in your left hand. But what’s in your hand?
A. other B. another C. the other D. others
259. many times, but he still doesn’t know how to do it.
A. Being told B. He has been told C. Having told D. Having been told
260. They would rather spend time than in the street.
A. read; wander B. reading; wandering
C. in reading; to wander D. reading; wander
261. The doctors tried to laugh my mother her fears about her coming operation.
A. from B. off[i] C. into D. against
262. The injured died on Thursday after accident.
A. the; the B. \\ ; an C. the; an D. \\ ; the
263. I didn’t like Lucy, who without warning and bringing us presents.
A. always turned up B. has always turned up
C. had always turned up D. was always turning up
264. --- John, you’ve never been to the Great Wall since you came to China, I’m afraid.
A. No, I’ve just been there with Mary. B. Yes, never. How about you?
C. No, but how I wish to! D. Yes, but I’d like to as soon as possible.
265. The nurse treated the naughty boy very kindly, but her patience at last.
A. went down B. used up C. got away D. gave out
266. --- What if you ?
--- I won’t be discouraged whether I .
A. will lose; win or lose B. lose; will win or lose
C. lose; win or lose D. will lose; will win or lose
267. I’m not sure what time I’ll arrive, maybe half past seven or a . , I’ll be
there as early as possible.
A. Anyhow B. However C. Thus D. Therefore
268. He spoke for quite a while, but I was puzzled about what he said.
A. not a little B. not a bit C. not too D. too much
269. --- Did you enjoy yourself at the party?
--- Sorry to say I didn’t. It was a meeting than a party.
A. more or less B. rather like C. less of D. more of
270. --- Why didn’t you give me a ring?
--- I , but later I forgot.
A. meant to B. meant phoning C. meant to phone D. meant to have
271. Della’s going to join us, was agreed the day before yesterday.
A. it B. that C. what D. as
272. --- Have a nice dream.
A. Yes, I will B. You too C. All right D. Thank you anyway
273. You can never imagine what great difficulty I have your house.
A. found B. to find C. finding D. for finding
274. Why did you throw the bottle out of the window? You somebody.
A. might hurt B. could have hurt C. would hurt D. must have hurt
275. I came here very late last night, early this morning.
A. at latest B. on the whole C. in a word D. or rather
276. You look not a bit older than you did 5 years ago. How do you so young?
A. change B. grow C. become D. stay
277. Everything into consideration, they ought to have another chance.
A. to take B. taken C. to be taken D. taking
278. The words of his old teacher left a impression on his mind. He is still affected by
A. lasting B. lively C. long D. real
279. Well, I think you’ve helped me. I must thank you all the same.
A. now that B. whenever C. however D. anyhow
280. Quite a lot of people watch TV only to time.
A. kill B. spend C. waste D. pass
281. --- Mum, I’ve cut my finger. It’s bleeding.
A. Let me see B. Don’t worry C. Be careful D. Let me have a look
282. that my head had cleared, my brain was also beginning to work much better.
A. For B. Now C. Since D. As
283. ---Excuse me. Can you spare me a few minutes?
A. What’s on B. What’s up C. What’s more D. What is it
284. Unfortunately, when I dropped in, Professor Li , so we only had time for a few words.
A. just left B. has just left C. had just left D. was just leaving
285. --- How could I thank you enough?
--- Don’t mention it. Any other man that.
A. would do B. will do C. had done D. would have done
286. I can some noise while I’m studying, but I can’t stand loud noise.
A. put up with B. get along with C. catch up with D. keep up with
287. The British are not so familiar with different cultures and other ways of doing things,
is often the case in other countries.
A. that B. as C. so D. it
288. John told you that there wasn’t anyone in the room at that time, ?
A. was there B. wasn’t there C. didn’t he D. did he
289. The days we spent together on the farm are not easy .
A. when; to forget B. which; to be forgotten
C. that; to forget D. \\ ; to be forgotten
290. It matters little a man dies, but matter much is he
A. how; what; how B. how; it; how C. why; it; why D. that; what; that
291. No agreement was reached in the discussion as neither side would give way to .
A. the other B. another C. any other D. others
292. Shining down out of a blue sky, .
A. they were burnt by the fierce sun B. the sun burnt their skins
C. their pale skins were burnt by the sun D. the sun burning their pale skin
293. --- There is someone at the door.
--- I wonder . I expect it’s Peter.
A. who is it B. who it is C. who is he D. who he is
294. --- Would you please lend me paper to write paper on?
--- Sorry, I don’t have any myself.
A. any; some B. any; a C. a; some D. some; a
295. he got home, he wrote a letter to me.
A. While B. Since C. The moment D. As long as
296. Germans like to drink beer.
A. Most B. The most C. Most of D. The most of the
297. It is dangerous to let the children who are go swimming in the river.
A. too young B. too young to C. so young to D. not old enough to
298. he was unwilling to listen, I insist on giving my opinion.
A. If B. However C. No matter D. Even if
299. “He gave me $100!” he said with satisfaction.
A. no less than B. no more than C. something like D. only
300. Please tell me you would like to have your coffee ––– black or white?
A. what B. where C. when D. how
301. --- He failed his exam again.
--- But what did you ? Had he ever been working hard?
A. think B. expect C. consider D. regard
302. --- Lucy, you wash the clothes, you?
--- Mom, can’t Lily do it? It’s her turn.
A. don’t B. can C. shall D. will
303. I used to drink a lot of coffee but these days I tea.
A. prefer B. am preferring C. preferred D. have preferred
304. --- What’s the matter?
--- The shoe don’t fit properly. They my feet.
A. are hurt B. will hurt C. have hurt D. are hurting
305. --- I heard Back Street Boys will sing at the New Theater.
--- Where did you ?
A. pick that up[ii] B. put that up C. make that up D. take that up
306. All of the plants now raised on farms have been developed from plants wild.
A. once they grew B. they grew once C. that once grew D. once grew
307. --- Will thirty dollars be enough?
--- Another twenty .
A. will fine B. will enough C. will fix D. will do
308. What do you think of this piece of wood? I’m sure it will a very good shelf.
A. will make B. is making C. is made D. can be made
309. You’ll never learn to ride a bicycle if you don’t .
A. practise B. drill C. train D. exercise
310. --- What exercise do you do each day?
--- a cold shower every morning.
A. I’ve B. I’ve got C. I have D. I have got
311. Short sight can be by the use of suitable glasses.
A. fixed B. improved C. reduced D. corrected
312. The cupboard filled with shoes fell over and it took half an hour to up again.
A. couple B. match C. pick D. pair
313. Except for a few apples left on the trees, the deer have eaten in our garden.
A. anything B. something C. nothing D. everything
314. Living in the central Australian desert has its problems, getting water is not the least.
A. as B. for what C. of which D. whose
315. Children who are always by their parents soon become selfish.
A. put away B. looked for C. given way to D. dealt with
316. The Bunsen Burner is so named because it is thought by Robert Bunsen.
A. to be invented B. having been invented
C. invented D. to have been invented
317. --- Excuse me, ?
--- That’s $32.50 altogether, Madame.
A. how much is the meal we’ve had B. take my order, please
C. could I have the bill, please D. would you please take the money
318. This time she careful enough, otherwise she would have failed again.
A. was B. should be C. is D. had been
319. Mrs White found her husband surrounded by letters and papers and much worried.
A. look B. looking C. to appear D. appeared
320. --- Do you think I could borrow your bike?
A. Yes, you may borrow B. Yes, you could
C. Yes, help to yourself D. Yes, do please
321. I first met Mary two years ago. She at a company at that time.
A. has worked B. was working C. had worked D. had been working
322. After the flood, a new theatre was put up there had once been a station.
A. that B. where C. which D. since
323. Would you be to step this way, please?
A. too kind B. so kind C. so kind as D. as kind as
324. It’s what he did what he said that moved us.
A. except for B. but also C. instead D. rather than
325. is no need to say anything to the other worker about that matter.
A. It B. There C. Whether there D. What
326. We’ll start at if it raining by then.
A. stops B. will stop C. has stopped D. is to stop
327. --- Why is the new coat so large for me?
--- You the wrong size.
A. must buy B. should have bought
C. might buy D. could have bought
328. --- Jenny looks funny in miniskirts.
--- But you don’t know miniskirt are starting to ?
A. come in B. turn back C. come round D. come back
329. The space shuttle Columbia broke into pieces over Texas as it returned to Earth on February 1st,
2003 all seven astronauts aboard.
A. having killed B. killing C. killed D. being killed
330. --- I want to ask you a question, sir.
A. What B. What for C. What about D. How about
331. --- Hello, may I have an appointment with the headmaster?
A. Sorry, he is busy at the moment B. No, you can’t
C. Certainly. Wait a minute D. Let me see
332. --- What’s the matter with you?
--- After the long walk, my legs and I couldn’t go any further.
A. gave out B. gave off C. gave in D. gave up
333. the students were hearing the exciting news!
A. How pleased B. What a fun C. How happily D. What pleasure
334. After a year’s raining, Zhang Jian succeeded in swimming across the English Channel .
A. in the end B. in case C. once again D. at last
335. The man in the office looked at him and said that the college didn’t colored people.
A. take B. receive C. allow D. enter
336. Sally is said in a foreign company, but I have no idea which company she worked in.
A. to work B. to have worked C. to be working D. to have been working
337. Jane was girl to express herself.
A. much too shy a B. too much shy a C. so a shy D. such a shy
338. I told you that he would come to see you.
--- Actually I had little doubt it was true.
A. whether B. if C. that D. since
339. By the time you get to the airport, she for New Zealand.
<A. would be leaving B. has already left C. is leaving D. will have left
340. Sometimes the students may have themselves.
A. difficulty expressing B. difficulty to express
C. difficulties in expressing D. difficulties expressed
341. --- Who’s that man talking with your teacher?
--- I don’t know. I him before.
A. was never seeing B. had never seen
C. never saw D. wouldn’t see
342. Mrs Smith locked both the front and the back doors before she went to bed that a
thief might steal into the house.
A. so B. for fear C. in case D. unless
343. I carefully poured the liquid into the water, my classmates anxiously beside me to
see what would happen.
A. stood B. standing C. to stand D. were standing
344. Tom insisted what he said true and we insisted that he and have a
A. be; should go B. be; would go C. was; go D. was; would go
345. --- Hey, Mr Smith, you’re wanted on phone.
--- Who’s calling?
--- Mr Green. I don’t know who he is.
A. \\ ; A B. the; \\ C. the; A D. \\ ; \\
346. , they continued their discussion.
A. Having been left the guests B. The guests having been left
C. The guests having left D. Left the guests
347. The party was successful, but we thought it a pity not you.
A. invite B. to invite C. inviting D. to have invited
348. I haven’t seen you for a couple of days. What have you been up ?
A. in B. to C. with D. for
349. I advise you to take school seriously, otherwise you’ll have to go out and work .
A. now and then B. as a result C. in a word D. at that moment
350. --- Could you mail these letters for me please?
--- letters? Your friends are going to be very happy to hear from you again?
A. What B. Some C. More D. Different
351. I lived with my sister this summer and didn’t have to pay rent. So I save most of my
A. could B. would C. was able to D. should
352. --- You’d better keep quiet in class.
--- Sometimes I . Yesterday, I was very quiet during my English class.
A. would B. do C. did D. have
353. The old man had the ability to say humorous things without hurting anybody.
A. fair B. rare C. seldom D. bare
354. --- Aha, I’ve graduated from college, and as last I can say good-bye to English.
--- But if you well in English at college, you’ll find international trade, which has much
to do with your future work, difficult to deal with.
A. haven’t done B. hadn’t done C. didn’t do D. don’t do
355. He spoke in such a high voice at the farther end of the room.
A. as to be heard B. to be heard C. as to hear D. to hear
356. How did it that you did so much work in such a short time?
A. come across B. come about C. come out D. come up
357. The speaker, for her splendid speeches, was warmly received by the audience
A. having known B. knowing C. known D. having been known
358. Five minutes earlier, we could have caught the last bus.
A. and B. but C. or D. so
359. Attention please, everybody! Please keep for a moment while I take your
A. calm B. silent C. quiet D. still
360. --- What do you think of what he did in class?
--- Why he did it was my imagination.
A. beyond B. beside C. above D. without
361. It’s not surprising that she is so tired, , she is already at the age of eighty.
A. In all B. At all C. Above all D. After all
362. We can at the hotel, or with friends.
A. put over B. put up C. put away D. put off
363. --- I’ll meet you outside the school gate in an hour, OK?
A. No, two hours later B. Yes, that’s a good idea
C. OK, but I can manage D. No, I don’t think so
364. --- the plane have taken off on time?
--- I’m afraid not. The fog was too thick then.
A. Would B. Should C. Can D. Must
365. It is quite that their team will win the game this evening.
A. sure B. right C. certain D. exact
366. The internet, if properly , holds the key to success in the 21st century.
A. to be managed B. managing C. managed D. being managed
367. It is out of place to praise her on such occasion.
A. the; \\ B. \\ ; \\ C. the; an D. \\ ; an
368. They must have been enjoying themselves there, or they so long.
A. can’t have stayed B. wouldn’t have stayed
C. needn’t have stayed D. couldn’t stay
369. It is a bad pratice to children much money as a New Year gift.
A. promise B. permit C. admit D. allow
370. If you don’t keep the meat in the refrigerator in such a hot day, it may .
A. go out B. go wrong C. go off D. go down
371. We took long walks together, on which he would tell stories he had from radio and
A. picked up B. taken up C. got up D. kept up
372. Learning to read is usually made easier when teachers create an environment
children are given the opportunity to solve the problem of learning to read by reading.
A. that B. which C. where D. for
373. It is no longer a question man can land on the moon.
A. that B. which C. whether D. what
374. We both strongly your going to Iraq at this time of war. It’s not a wise decision.
A. enjoy B. oppose C. appreciate D. insist
375. at failing in the math exam, John wouldn’t like to talk about it to his parents.
A. Disappointed B. To be disappointed
C. Disappointing D. Having disappointed
376. --- These boxes are too heavy for me to move.
--- Here, I’ll give you a hand them.
A. for B. to C. with D. by
377. John has put on so much weight recently that his mother has to all his trousers to his
A. let out B. give away C. bring in D. make up
378. Some plants can take in carbon dioxide (二氧化碳) we breathe out and give
oxygen to us.
A. in case B. in turn C. in return D. in addition
379. British people always talk about weather.
A. The; the B. \\ ; \\ C. \\ ; the D. The; \\
380. --- What kind of food would you like to eat?
--- but Japanese.
--- How about Korean, then?
A. Anything B. Something C. Everything D. Nothing
381. After five hours’ drive, they reached they thought was the place they’d been
A. that B. where C. which D. what
382. As a result of the heavy snow, the highway has been closed up until further .
A. news B. information C. notice D. message
383. The hard-working peasants and their happy life we saw in the countryside made a
wonderful impression on us.
A. \\ B. who C. which D. whom
384. You things about. Look, what a mess in your room!
A. always throw B. have always thrown
C. are always throwing D. have always been throwing
385. The trees in the thick forest are so close together that there is hardly any room to move
A. between B. in C. among D. across
386. --- You keep on coughing. What’s the matter?
--- Oh, I’ve got a cold. Nothing serious, .
A. yet B. indeed C. though D. anyway
387. --- I’m sorry that I shouldn’t have got so angry with you.
--- You but that’s OK.
A. have been B. are C. had got D. did
388. The drum player was certainly loud. But I wasn’t bothered by his loudness by his lack
of sense of music.
A. than B. more than C. as much D. so much as
389. --- Is David in?
---Yes, he’s to be cleaning his room.
A. known B. supposed C. regarded D. considered
390. We had to agree to accept they thought was the best tour guide.
A. whichever B. whomever C. whoever D. whenever
391. --- George, I don’t have any change with me. Will you pay the fare for me?
A. That’s fine B. Nothing serious C. Never mind D. By all means
392. --- Would you like to come to Ruth’s party tonight?
--- . I feel like doing something different.
A. Not really B. Don’t mention it C. I don’t think so D. I certainly don’t want
393. Only after a long and miserable time and with the help of their friends .
A. all the problems became settled B. have all the problems settled
C. that all the problems have settled D. did all the problems become settled
394. --- Jim’s job application was turned down by the company.
--- What a pity! better education, he might have got the job.
A. With B. Having C. For D. Have
395. Mike apologized to his wife to her for nearly three months.
A. for not having written B. for having not written
C. because of he hadn’t written D. because he hasn’t written
396. --- Robert has done quite well in the competition.
--- Yes, he promises to be the best student there in my school.
A. ever was B. never was C. has ever D. has never
397. I’m Chinese and I do feel Chinese language is most
A. \\ ; the ; a B. a ; \\ ; the C. a; the; \\ D. a; \\ ; a
398. I’d rather have a room of my own, however small it is, than one with someone else.
A. to share B. sharing C. share D. to have shared
399. The house they in the floods must be rebuilt before winter comes.
A. had washed away B. had to wash away
C. had them washed away D. had it washed away
400. No one had told Smith about a lecture the following day.
A. there be B. there would be C. there being D. there was
401. The club has meeting, held every other Wednesday.
A. a weekly B. an annual C. a monthly D. a fortnightly
402. reading the news, I immediately rang to see if I could help.
A. When B. While C. On D. The moment
403. To pay to see that film will be foolish when you can see it on TV for .
A. everything B. anything C. something D. nothing
404. --- What would you say to a glass of wine?
A. Delicious B. Cheers C. Good idea D. Never mind
405. --- These tomatoes are huge! You must have watered them a lot!
--- Yes, I . They ought to be ripe enough to pick by next Friday.
A. do B. must C. have D. did
406. --- So, how is your new roommate?
--- She really . She’s always making loud noises at and when I remind her,
she always makes rude remarks.
A. turns me over B. turns me off C. turns me down D. turns me out
407. what I had originally thought, the trip turned out to be fun.
A. Instead of B. In spite of C. Contrary to D. Because of
408. The man we followed suddenly stopped and looked as if whether he was going in
the right direction.
A. seeing B. having seen C. to see D. to have seen
409. People have heard what the President has said; they are waiting to see he will do.
A. how B. what C. when D. that
410. If you’re driving to the airport, can you give me a ?
A. hand B. seat C. drive D. lift
411. Naturally, after I told what to do, my daughter go and do the opposite!
A. may B. can C. must D. should
412. The manager, his factory’s products were poor in quality, decided to give his workers
A. knowing B. known C. to know D. being known
413. The silence of the library only by the sound of pages being turned over.
A. has been broken B. breaks C. broke D. was broken
414. Perhaps we need to clear away these books to make for our new students.
A. place B. area C. space D. room
415. With the rapid growth of population, the city in all directions in the past five years.
A. spreads B. has spread C. spread D. had spread
416. This maths problem is not difficult as it .
A. so; shows B. as; appears C. so; expects D. as; looks
417. I asked him to come over to help me carry the case, .
A. which he did B. so did he C. that he did D. and he did
418. --- You seem to have had that car for years.
--- Yes. I should sell it it still runs.
A. before B. during C. until D. while
419. I wouldn’t buy the TV set afford it, I have already got one.
A. if I can B. though I can C. if I could D. even if I could
420. --- Would you have told him the answer had it been possible?
--- I would, but I so busy.
A. had been B. were C. was D. would be
421. He always prefers a bicycle rather than on a crowded bus.
A. ride; ride B. riding ; ride C. to ride; ride D. riding; to ride
422. The teacher suggested that the dictionary to be bought.
A. refer B. referred C. be referred D. referring
423. Several people in the crowd seem to . Look! They are black and blue all over.
A. fight B. be fought C. be fighting D. have fought
424. Not until removed his shoes did he enter on of the low-ceiling rooms of the Japanese
A. he B. did he C. he had D. had he
425. --- How many passengers can the bus ?
--- At most 45.
A. be seating B. be seated C. seat D. sit
426. --- My boss often made me work day and night.
--- If I you, I up the job.
A. am; will B. had been; would have given
C. were; would give D. had been; will give
427. In order well, this exercise must be taught again and again.
A. to do B. doing C. to be done D. to do it
428. --- Has our teacher arrived?
--- Not yet. It will be another two hours before he .
A. will arrive B. arrives C. has arrived D. is arriving
429. --- Is this taxi ?
--- No, get in, please.
--- I’ve got to catch the aircraft. Do you think I can it?
A. taken; make B. free; manage C. held; get D. free of charge; do
430. After seemed half an hour, the teacher gave us the correct answer.
A. it B. which C. that D. what
431. I’m penniless, dear; I can afford of what you asked for.
A. little B. nothing C. none D. few
432. --- Look! It’s snowing outside.
--- Yes, it is the second time we snow this week.
A. are having B. have C. have had D. had had
433. --- What’s the trouble?
--- The family never agree about shares of the poverty (财产).
A. her B. its C. their D. his
434. people first appeared on the earth.
A. Nobody is sure when B. That nobody is sure when
C. That nobody is sure how D. Nobody is sure that when
435. --- Thank you for the wonderful meal.
A. It’s nice of you to say so B. It’s a pleasure
C. I’m glad you enjoyed it D. Not at all, just so-so
436. in pencil, the letter was difficult to out.
A. Being written; in making B. Written; to make
C. Having written; to be made D. having been written; making
437. --- Would you like this book or that one?
--- This is more interesting than that one. I want neither.
A. far B. even C. no D. less
438. The older England villages have changed little a gas station or two in recent years.
A. except B. besides C. in addition to D. except for
439. This article more attention to the problem of pollution.
A. calls for B. sends for C. cares for D. waits for
440. His remarks left me about his real purpose.
A. wondered B. wonder C. to wonder D. wondering
441. I wonder what notes he made in the back of his diary things to mend or replace.
A. by B. in C. with D. of
442. It was in the village now is a small town the earthquake occurred.
A. where; which B. which; where C. which; that D. that; where
443. --- Who are Kate and her sister going to Paris with?
--- A classmate of .
A. themselves B. them C. theirs D. their own’s
444. the temperature falling so rapidly, we couldn’t go on with the experiment.
A. Since B. For C. As D. With
445. Ahead of me I saw a woman, I thought was my aunt.
A. who B. as C. whom D. of whom
446. --- May I come in right now?
--- Sure, but two .
A. at a time B. in a while C. at one time D. for a while
447. --- Where is the thief?
--- Did you notice the man who hurried away the opposite direction.
A. in B. to C. towards D. for
448. Disney refused to signs asking his “guests” not to step on the plants in Disneyland.
A. put down B. put out C. put up D. put off
449. --- Have you anything there?
--- No, I’ll there myself. Thank you just the same.
A. to take B. should be taken C. to be taken D. to be taking
450. I’ve already told you that I’m going to buy it, .
A. however much it costs B. however does it cost much
C. how much does it cost D. no matter how it costs
451. She liked the painting so much that she would like to take it it cost.
A. how much B. what C. whatever D. no matter how expensive
452. has been used to save this steel .
A. All possible means; work B. Every possible means ; works
C. Much possible mean; work D. Many possible means; works
453. In my opinion, it’s the best use that could this money.
A. be made of B. be making C. be made D. make of
454. If you children won’t do as I tell you, you go to the party.
A. won’t B. shan’t C. oughtn’t D. needn’t
455. We’ll let children read such books will make them better and wiser.
A. which B. that C. as D. what
456. --- Is Mr Blake in the office?
--- Of course, he is in charge, where else could he be?
A. since B. for C. though D. unless
457. Popular music is liked by many people, but it is not to everyone’s .
A. manners B. share C. smell D. taste
458. Jane and John still remember that it was , their parents, who encouraged them to
continue their education.
A. those B. they C. who D. what
459. I noticed that she had placed my old shoes under the bed, with a hole at each of the
A. the one B. the ones C. that D. which
460. His acting in the play was remarkable, his youth and inexperience.
A. considering B. including C. judging from D. taking no notice of
461. --- Did Mr Jones leave office?
--- No. was lying.
A. Those who told you that B. Anyone told you
C. No matter who told you D. Whoever told you that
462. Mary is one of those students who, I am sure, always do best.
A. her B. their C. one’s D. whose
463. Although most of us agree that Lesson Nine is most difficult lesson, yet it
is not most difficult one in Book two.
A. the; a; the B. / ; the; a C. the; the; / D. / ; a; the
464. As announced in today’s papers, the Shanghai Export Commodities Fair is also open
A. being B. is C. to be D. been
465. This monkey has a larger, more well-developed brain other animals.
A. than do B. which C. that having D. that does
466. --- The housework is too much for me, Jack.
--- Sorry, but I can’t help it, Joan. I’ve got something important to do you know.
A. do B. doing C. to be doing D. having done
467. --- Why do you drink so much coffee?
--- Well, it does not keep me awake at night, I see no harm in it.
A. although B. as soon as C. as long as D. while
468. --- You must have met him the other day, I’m quite sure.
--- Oh, no, I .
A. didn’t B. haven’t C. hadn’t D. mustn’t
469. The general decided that two bombs would destroy the enemy and end the war once and
A. ever B. all C. everything D. good
470. I think a good speaker is never for words while giving a lecture.
A. out of control B. under way C. in a hurry D. at a loss
471. Whoever has never tasted is bitter does not know is sweet.
A. that; that B. what; what C. that; what D. what; that
472. --- Did you enjoy music at school?
--- Yes, .
A. but I don’t B. and I don’t C. but not a little D. I didn’t at all
473. Compared with smoking, gambling is to break away from.
A. much more easy B. very easy C. more difficult D. fairly hard
474. Thousands of tons of rubbish dumped into the beautiful lake, but has
been done to stop it.
A. has ; everything B. is; nothing C. have; anything D. are; nothing
475. It’s reported that a few people were killed in the fire, but were saved.
A. most of them B. the most C. most D. most of them
476. The Browns sent out lots of invitations when they decided to give the party. But because of the
improper time, few people .
A. attended B. accepted C. received D. enjoyed
477. --- Were all the three people in the car injured in the accident?
--- No, only the two passengers who got hurt.
A. there were B. they were C. there was D. it was
478. --- The electrical fan she in town yesterday works well again.
A. repaired B. had repaired C. has repaired D. had had repaired
479. --- She didn’t come last night, did she?
--- No, We for her. A whole night was wasted.
A. had waited B. have been waiting
C. were waiting D. had been waiting
480. --- Whom do you want to see at the moment?
--- The woman Mrs Smith.
A. called herself B. you call C. is called D. is calling herself
481. Sorry, I don’t understand you have said means.
A. all what B. what all C. all that D. that all
482. --- What do you think of the contest?
--- I was told the English Contest successfully last night.
A. went along B. went off C. went down D. went on
483. Mr Black was not very old he realized that what he had been devoted to was of great
value, especially in the future.
A. after B. when C. as D. before
484. I am very glad to receive your letter and this is my advice it.
A. in answer for B. in reply to C. in reply for D. for the answer to
485. Exercise is as any other to lose unwanted weight.
A. so useful a way B. as a useful way C. as useful a way D. such a useful way
486. , I will not buy it.
A. It as I like much B. As I like it much C. Much as I like it D. I as like it much
487. to make herself clearly, she spoke at the top of her voice.
A. Hope; hear B. Hoping; heard C. Hoping; hear D. Hope; to hear
488. Last year the well-known actress did all help the poor children in that mountain
A. she could do B. she could to C. what she could do D. that she could
489. Where and when to build the new factory yet.
A. is not decided B. are not decided C. has not decided D. have not decided
490. What would you like to enjoy the coming holiday, staying at home or playing out?
A. spend B. spending C. to spend D. having spent
491. I knew I shouldn’t accept anything from such a person, but I found it difficult to refuse his .
A. principle B. purpose C. offer D. order
492. --- Mother hasn’t come back yet.
--- Well, she ought .
A. to B. to be C. to do D. to have
493. The situation worsens by the hour and we have no idea what will of us.
A. spend B. happen C. relate D. become
494. --- What do you think of the movie?
--- Oh, excellent. It’s worth than that one.
A. more; to see B. more; seeing C. better; being seen D. better; seeing
495. --- Do you think I should get a good guidebook?
--- Yes, of course. , you’ll also need a good camera and comfortable shoes.
A. What’s more B. In other words C. By the way D. All in all
496. --- Whom do you want to see at the moment?
--- The man Professor Dupont.
A. called himself B. you call him C. calling himself D. who called
497. Your time should have been made full use of the final exams, but to my regret, it wasn’t.
A. to pass B. passing C. to have passed D. having passed
498. --- You seemed to have been impressed by his songs.
--- Well, not exactly so. It was his way of singing his words that really impressed me.
A. as well as B. rather than C. but also D. together with
499. She the company’s accounts (帐目), looking for evidence (证据) of fraud (舞弊).
A. got through B. passed through C. went through D. went over
500. Many a student that mistake before.
A. has made B. have made C. is making D. are making
501. He drank what little water there was left in the bottle.
A. which B. who C. that D. what
[i] laugh … off: escape from; get rid of by laughing用笑摆脱(困境等); 对……一笑置之
[ii] pick up: 偶然/意外获得(消息等)
1. CADCD 6. DBDAD 11. BCBDB 16. BCDAC 21. CBDBA
26. BDDCB 31. BABAC 36. AADCC 41. BBDBB 46. BCBDD
51. BCBBA 56. DDBDC 61. ACBCD 66. ACADA 71. CABDC
76. BCBCC 81. CCABD 86. BDACB 91. CABBD 96. DBDCA
101. CABCD 106. ABCBA 111. DADAB 116. CDBDB 121. DCCDB
126. ABDCB 131. ABABA 136. DCDCB 141. ACDCA 146. ACBCD
151. BABAB 156. AACDB 161. ABBCB 166. DCCAD 171. BCBBD
176. CABDD 181. CDCDA 186. BADCD 191. CCDCD 196. BACDC
201. BABCD 206. ADDAB 211. DAABA 216. BADDB 221. ABDBB
226. ABDBD 231. CBBCA 236. CDABA 241. ACDAC 246. CBCBA
251. CADAC 256. ADABD 261. BADCD 266. CAADA 271. DBCBD
276. DBADA 281. DBBDD 286. ABCCA 291. ABBDC 296. AADAD
301. BDADA 306. CDAAC 311. DDDCC 316. DCABC 321. BBCDB
326. CDDBC 331. CAADA 336. BACDA 341. CBBCC 346. CDBBC
351. CBBCA 356. BCADA 361. DBBCC 366. CDBDC 371. ACABA
376. CACCA 381. DCACA 386. CDDBC 391. DADAA 396. AACAC<
401. DCDCD 406. B[ii]CCBD 411. CADDB 416. BADDC 421. CBDCC
426. BCBAD 431. CCCAC 436. BCDAD 441. DCCDA 446. AACCA
451. CBABC 456. ADBBA 461. DBDBA 466. ACAAD 471. BABDC
476. ADBDB 481. BBDCC 486. CBBAC 491. CDDDA 496. CABCA